So there’s been all this hype and hoopla about 12.12.12. Weddings and deliveries have been planned (despite it being an almost “amavasya”), exclusive sales events announced, special outings organized at ancient Mayan sites in Central America, spiritual meets scheduled across the globe. Not to be left behind, the soap operas too have planned “dramatic episodes” for this unique date.
We too have jumped into the bandwagon. Every 12th registration, purchase and subscription on the INDIAreads website today has been winning free gifts and vouchers. But why? I mean, I know it makes business sense. We love occasions – remember, the ‘Day” phenomenon that started out with a tribute to St Valentine and today encompasses every possible relation and emotion. Seriously, pick up any date, google it and you’ll find some day or the other. So yeah, there’s a business logic to it. Special occasions entail celebrations or gifts and that means fast buck. So I’m in, but darn this curiosity, I just had to know if there was more to this 121212 phenomenon. And so I decided to spend a day with google and yahoo and bing and all the other lovely search engines out there. Here’s what I found out. Btw everything that I put down here, you could find too with a little bit of effort. I am just making your life simpler – consider this as my 121212 gift to you.
1. This combination comes up only comes up once every century (just like 111111-ouch -101010, 090909 etc) and we all love unique! The next unique date is another 88 years away – Jan 1, 2101.
2. According to the ancient Mayan calender our Sun would have completed a revolutionary cycle of (hold your breath) 26,000 years. So yeah, the leaps taken by medical science notwithstanding, you are definitely not experiencing this day again. According to the Mayans this marks the end of an era and the beginning of a new period/cycle of evolution. Being optimists, we’ll ignore doomsday predictions (the claim that the world will end on December 21, 2012) and toast to a new beginning!
3. The Number 12 itself is special. It is one of the most easily divisible numbers and western tradition regards it as the most complete numeral. Hence 12 apostles, 12 days of Christmas, 12 signs of zodiac, 12 Gods of Olympus and 12 as the basis for time related calculations. Consider this: a year has 12 months, a day has 12 hours of day and 12 of night. An hour has 60 minutes (12*5) and minute, 60 seconds. Don’t ask me why the week doesn’t have 12 days though!
4. Numerology considers 3 and 9 to be lucky numbers, especially 3 because it stands for Jupiter which represents wealth. Think money. Now consider 12. 1+2 = 3. Bingo. Good number. Think 12.12.12 and we have 9. Good number again!
5. And now the Chinese angle. One is a yang number ruled by the sun and two a yin number ruled by the moon. Together the two represent perfect harmony – a blend of individualism and symmetry coming from the masculine energies of the sun and the feminine energies of the moon.
6. This is just fyi :In response to Doomsday preparations taking place globally, the Astronomical Society of the Pacific has declared 12/12/12 “Anti-Doomsday Day.”
7. And here’s DYK: 12/12/12 came exactly 6 years, 6 months, 6 days after 06/06/06.
8. Let’s end on a musical note: a 12.12.12 concert featuring Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stone, The Who and Paul McCartney will take place in New York’s Madison Square Garden tonight and will be witnessed by 2 million people globally.
So, do you still think today is just another day????